We decided that Jayde was probably ready to be potty-trained awhile back. She turned 2 in May and was going long periods of time without any wet diapers, as well as waking up dry in the morning quite a bit. She also was willing to sit on the potty, but still had never gone on it.
It was the perfect weekend. I had 4 days to teach her as much as I could before I had to work, and before she would go back to her nanny's house during the day. We went to the store to buy some snacks, drinks, and some princess panties that she picked out. That Saturday morning we went out to grab breakfast because we knew we wouldn't be going out to eat for awhile. I checked out the book "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" from the library a week previous so I could make sure I knew exactly what I was doing. I loved the concepts in the book, and would highly recommend it.
I had treats and stickers for when she went successfully, her favorite are Starburst candies. Those are so big that we ended up having those as poo candies and M&M's as pee candies.
Day 1 was SO hard! She had about 5 accidents where I had to wipe up my floor (luckily never on the carpet). She peed in her panties twice - and finished going on potty after, and she went on the potty 8 times with either me telling her we should go try, or her answering "yes" when I asked if she needed to go. At night we put her in Pull-ups just in case, to see how that went. When she needed to poo she would say, "mama - my need go poo poo!" it's pretty cute.
Day 2 was a little better because she had a little better bladder control and I wasn't making her drink a TON like the first day. She had 3 accidents in her panties - and finished going on potty after, zero accidents on the floor, and went on potty 3 times with me asking her if she needed to go.
Day 3 she only wet her panties once, and went on potty with me asking 4 times.
I don't remember how day 4 went because I didn't record it, but she seemed to really be getting the hang of things. We still had her in a pull up at night and during her naps because she seemed to not be able to focus on going to sleep because she was worried of having an accident. Poo is another story. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since we started and she has still only gone poo on the potty twice which I heard was a lot harder to learn.
On Day 5 she had to go to her Nanny's while I was at work, and I think having another little buddy there to play with (who is a year old) made her regress because she is so focused on playing that she doesn't remember to go, or want to stop what she's doing to go. She had quite a few accidents - including 3 poopy diapers there in one day. She hadn't progressed in the couple days she was over there, so we decided to have her in Pull ups until she's more ready. I'm hoping that in a couple of months when we have a good break at home we will have another crack at it again and she will catch on even better. For now we figure that while she is in Pull ups that we would still have her go on the potty as much as she can so she is getting all of the practice as if she had pannies, but no clothes-changing accidents.
No comments:
Post a Comment