So this being the first pregnancy and all, Laura thought it might be a good idea for the two of us to do a birthing class before the baby came. I had no clue what to expect with a "birthing" class.....I had always imagined them to be the classes where you learn how to breathe and other tips like that. This was nothing like that.The first half of the day was not that useful. It may have been good for Laura, but did not do much for me. Most the morning was about how the woman's body changes with a pregnancy and what other body changes to expect. This was not useful to me for three reasons: 1) Laura is already so late in her pregnancy that the body changes have already occurred, 2) my body is not undergoing any changes (even though I may look pregnant and have some pregnancy-weight to lose), and 3) there is nothing I can do to help Laura with her changing body. Sadly, there were some points during the morning that I kept thinking about the great golf weather outside (don't worry, I didn't leave and go golfing)
The class began to improve right around lunch. First off, Laura and I ran a quick errand and bought us a new grill for the house. That started to make my day. Then, Laura told me she was craving a juicy burger. I love those kinds of pregnancy cravings. So, as a sacrifice for the love of my wife, we went to 5 Guys (I am so glad my wife has great taste and likes 5 Guys over In-N-Out). Sure can't beat a bacon-burger and cajun fries for lunch.After being rejuvenated by my AMAZING burger and fries, we went back to class. I was hoping it would improve and would not disappoint. Luckily, it did not. The second half of the class was more about during birth and post-pregnancy. These were areas I could actually be of some help and the instructor gave some great tips to the husbands. I hope I can live up to expectations -- even though I am not too excited about changing diapers.
The thing I was looking forward to most was the hospital tour. The delivery rooms are actually pretty nice. However, the recovery rooms leave much to be desired. Oh well, I guess you are not there that long. In all reality, I could be anywhere with my baby and wife and be completely happy.
All in all, it was a useful class. It did start to make me nervous because it confirmed that the due-date is just around the corner. Oh well, all we can do is take it all in stride and do our best. Oh ya, the class would have been better without the graphic pics and movies -- I am sure the point can get across without those.
2 comments:
During the movie in our birthing class, Brady leaned over to me and said, "I'm SO glad I'm a guy." That was really encouraging. haha.
Haha, they give you more movies to watch in the hospital ;) Good luck with everything!!! We're so excited for you guys!
Post a Comment