Monday, February 1, 2010

What's in a name?

You never really realize how difficult it is going to be to pick your children's names when you find out you're pregnant. I mean, this stays with them forever so it's something we couldn't just take lightly!

The first few years of our marriage Tyson was dead set on Chaz for our first boy and I'm so glad he got over that! I was less than thrilled with that name for our first-born son, so when he found a name he liked better I had a sigh of relief because that gave me some room to stick a few other boy options in his head.

Ever since we were married if I heard a name I liked I would write it down on a sticky in my wallet so it wouldn't be lost in the shuffle. When we found out we were pregnant I quickly pulled out that sticky with my list of names, and re-wrote them down in my computer. I scowered the internet reading through thousands of girl and boy names, hastily writing down the names I loved. When I was happy with the 51 girl names and 70 boy names, I read through them to the husband.

Most he laughed at.
Some he had a weird reason why he didn't like them.
A few of were names of girls he had dated.
Others he had no reason why he didn't like it, but that he just didn't.
...

What the?! He didn't like the names I liked. I didn't expect that to happen. Some of the names I absolutely loved he didn't like at all. How in the world does that even happen? Of course I didn't expect him to just roll over and let me pick the baby's name, but for him to really not like the names I loved was blasphemous in my mind! I come to the conclusion that he's not putting the names in the right context so I tell him to think of different situations we could use their name.
...
And he still doesn't like some of the names I loved.
I refuse to take them off the list because that would mean defeat, so I keep them on so he can mull them over.
I think in my head that the husband may just be too opinionated.
We decided to wait a few weeks to cool off and look at them again.

Since we were positive that we were going to have a boy we narrowed those down first to about 23 options, and figured we'd better glance through the girl names to also narrow those down in case our parental instincts were off and we indeed were having a girl... which we were.

So... the boys names were set aside and we focused on the list for girls, narrowed those down to 7 and took another break. We ran them by some family members to get their opinions and ended up with 3 that we both loved. After a few weeks of mulling those over in our head Tyson told me the name he liked the most (which was a name I wrote down early in our marriage which I also loved). So unless she comes out and we decide to change, her name is going to be:

Jayde Brielle Horrocks

If you think the name is cute, let us know!
If you think the name is hideous then you can chose to not name your own baby that, and keep your comments to yourself because we love it (hee hee).

When I thought about naming our girl after a gemstone, I wondered if the meaning even matters. So I looked up the meaning of our names to see what those were.
  • Tyson: "Son of Dye", or "Firebrand"
  • Laura: "Crown of Laurel"
Ya...I think being named after a pretty gemstone is just as good as being named after a leaf (in my case). We're going to stick with Jayde.

Here are some pictures of baby Jayde at our ultrasound we had on January 7th. The Dr. told us all her organs and everything looked wonderful. According to her measurements we are now due May 11th instead of 12th so we were happy about that. It was fun seeing our little munchkin kicking around all over the screen, and it was easy to get some good leg shots but not so easy to get good profile shots. She's got very long legs and feet! According to Tyson - she will be the first female All-State Running Back. By how hard she is already able to kick me, she will probably end up being a very good soccer player! Let's just say I'm nervous for my ribs in the upcoming months.




5 comments:

Melanie said...

oh I think it's a beautiful name!! I really love it.

Yeah, names are HARD to agree on.

Karissa Kay said...

I LOVE that name! Good choice!

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that name! Good choice! I love your comment on if you don't like it leave your comments to yourself. LOL. I don't know why people think they really get an opinion when it comes to naming your child. :) I love the last picture too!!! So much fun!

Dana and Michael said...

I think that is sounds spectacular!

Shad and Brittany said...

Love the name!! Can't wait to see you guys as parents. You will be amazing.