On January 20, 2009, Barack Hussein Obama became the 44th President of the United States of America. It was an exciting time living so close to DC. We were able to watch as all of the decorations gradually went up. Bleachers showed up all over the mall and the Capitol was transformed into red white and blue. Patriotism was seeping all over the place and we could feel the buzz in the air wherever we went. On the actual Inauguration day I was working from home, and Tyson didn't have school so we watched it in our warm apartment on our TV. I'm sure a lot of you are wondering "What were you thinking by not going?!". First of all we didn't have one of these, and even most of the people who did have one of those still didn't get in:

Second was we didn't want to have to deal with this:

There were millions of people on the mall that day and Tyson turns into a whole other person when he gets around crowds this huge.

However, we were able to watch the whole thing on the news all day in our warm apartment and pajamas. The cold weather was another factor that I wasn't excited about. I think the main reason was we wanted to make sure we were safe, and honestly it wasn't. My friends told stories of security letting people go through even if the metal detectors went off, and not checking purses etc. They basically let everyone go through if they didn't look suspicious or weren't practically carrying any guns or bombs. I'm just so glad that nothing happened during the whole event because of a lot of my good friends who witnessed it live! Seeing it in person just wasn't worth the risk, and all of the Obama-mania around here has gotten very old/annoying.

The inauguration was great though and I liked Obama's speech. I think he has a lot of potential to be a great president and I am glad people are inspired by him, but what was up with that benediction? “Brown would stick around,” the “yellow would be mellow,” the “red man would get ahead, man,” and the “white would embrace the right.” That was a little weird...I wonder if anyone else thought that.
One worry I have is some people regard Obama in a god-like way and I worry that if he screws something up that people will not notice and continue to think he is perfect. I also don't like that the media doesn't cover everything and also holds him in that same light - I mean how come we haven't seen ANY pictures of him smoking? He is set on such a high pedestal right now and I just hope that he will only change this country for the good (so far I'm not exactly impressed). So congrats on Obama for being the 44th white and at the same time 44th black president of the US of A.
I always joke around with Tyson that if things continue to get a lot worse we can always move to Mexico and live with my parents. Either that, or a beach house in Mexico would be awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment