Thursday, June 12, 2008

Williamsburg + Triathlon = Good Times!

So just as an overview - my dad is amazing! In 10 years he has run 14 marathons (one being Boston), and 5 triathlons (2 half-iron mans, 2 olympic, and 1 sprint). He has time goals and almost always reaches those goals. He is the one who convinced me and Tyson that we can run a marathon.
My parents and grandparents came in town awhile back because my dad was participating in a half-iron man triathlon in Virginia. I drove down after work and met them to see the big race the next day. Here are some pics:


His bike was awesome! Before people start they have to check in and they write their age on the back of their calves so people know when they are getting their butts kicked by a 50 year old...and my dad beat most of them.


Swimming was the first event. He even had the transitions down pat. He would hustle back from swimming, take off his wet suit, and then without even putting his biking shoes on he was off! This is right before he finished the whole race...and then right after.


This is right after he finished and realized that he did reach his goal and qualified for the USA Triathlon National Championchip this October in Las Vegas. He was working to qualify soo hard and did it! He said he has never worked so hard in his life to finish a race! My dad was third in his age group, 63rd out of 326 total participants.


We toured around Williamsburg...Here is my mom standing in front of a huge wysteria tree...I'm not sure if the spelling is right =0) We ate at a tavern there and the food was pretty good.


The governor's palace back in the day was pretty cool. They decorated the walls of the entry room with all guns, muskets, and swords.


We celebrated my birthday that weekend and went to Legal Sea Foods. It was good...as usual. My grandparents are so cute! While I was at work and Tyson was studying for finals they all toured the city. Here is a picture of my grandpa in front of the WWII memorial which is neat because he served in it. My dad said when they were walking through the Air and Space Museum my grandpa saw the MinuteMan Missile/Rocket and said "Hey I remember working on that exact missile!" I thought that was pretty cool. It was a fun weekend!!

3 comments:

Sean & Lacey said...

How fun to have you family come out! And I'm so glad to see new posts from you.....we like to be updated!

Erin said...

Thank you for the pictures. I love the one of Grandpa at the WWII memorial. That must have been so fun for them. See you soon.

Matt and Courtney Orme said...

I'm so glad you finally updated! looks like you guys have been busy! Your Dad is amazing! How awesome to do all those races. I look up to you guys for training for the marathon. I wish I could do it. One day maybe...probably a 1/2 marathon one day. Looks like the summer started on the right foot!