Thursday, June 12, 2008

Turtle Soup

The other day when Tyson and I were on one of our long runs (I think it was the 7 miler), I looked on the running trail and saw a rock right in the middle of the road with some cool grooves in it. I was going to pick it up but then thought to myself to not act like a little kid and keep cool rocks... when we jogged past it I looked back and saw that it was moving!! I ran over to the "rock" and picked it up and saw that it was the cutest turtle EVER! It's shell was about the size of an oreo, it was that small. My head immediately started trying to think up a way to keep this cute little turtle, knowing that Tyson would never let me do such a thing.

"Tyson, I'm going to take Turbo home!" (I named him pretty fast thinking that it would make him as attached to our new found friend as I was.)

"No Laura, it's illegal to take wild 'animals' out of their habitat."

"Yah but we are actually saving Turbo from being run over because he was walking toward the freeway!! He will turn into turtle soup!!! How would you be able to live with yourself?!"

"How are we even going to get him home when we aren't even done with half of our run? Huh?"

".....I KNOW!! We'll put him in the shade by these trees and I'll bike back to where we put him and save him...again! We'll be like heroes and it'll be an awesome story...plus you know how much I want a pet, and this isn't even a cat or a dog!"

"We'll go to PetsMart and see if they have any turtles we can buy."

We then took a picture of him and set Turbo down by some shade and water. I have officially come to the conclusion that my hubby doesn't like pets and we will probably never get one...at least for now. I joke that when we have kids I will be just as bad at them when it comes to keeping cute animals. They will be like "Mom!! We just HAVE to buy the hermit crab and some really cool shells for it...or...Mom, we HAVE to take care of the lost puppy!" and I will be like "Of course we do! That will be so much fun!" haha I've been like that since I was little and it hasn't gone away.
Oh, and for the record - we did end up going to PetsMart and they don't sell turtles...
So for now all I have is a husband that doesn't like pets, a plant, and memories of Turbo... the cutest turtle ever.

4 comments:

H.Cook said...

awww I hope Turbo is safe! Cute!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, that looks EXACTLY like Lincoln a year and a half ago. It's the exact same kind! He was so super cute when he we little. Then he got big and ugly, but he's still super entertaining to watch! Even if he does kind of have an attitude. I'm so sad you didn't take it home. Rescuing a turtle from the death water of the Potomac is probably more legal than buying a $5 baby turtle from Chinatown, NY, where Lincoln hails from. (They're illegal to sell until they are about 4" in diameter, so you won't find them legal and little, so sad.)

Speaking of NY, how was your trip??? Did you love it? How was it with the fam? We missed you guys at the Race for the Cure! Your dad's amazing, that's awesome. This is a long comment. Glad we could share a turtle moment. :)

Sean & Lacey said...

He is cute! I ran over a little turtle when I was on my way home at the stop light a couple weeks ago....maybe it was his dad? We need to get together soon because we are leaving in less then a month! I vote for cheesecake factory!!!

Erica said...

Okay that turtle is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I think I need one now!!! Haha!