Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seasons = Totally Overrated

So I decided that I am going to let my opinion of the seasons make an appearance on our blog because of our current weather situation. Here in DC it is cold...very cold. Mind you, it isn't nearly as cold as Cleveland but that is a complete other experience that I try to block out of my memory ;0)

Most of the people I hang out with are from Utah and LOVE the seasons. They say things such as, "How sad that you grew up in California without seasons! I couldn't live without experiencing seasons." I don't know if it is just my fellow Californians that feel this way or not, but my friend's hubby posted about it on their blog also and feels the same way - so shout out to the Carr's in Ohio.

Here are my thoughts: There are millions of people around the world (mostly in the middle part) who live long wonderful lives without much in the way of seasons. In fact, just about all of the places that we routinely call ‘paradise’ are essentially seasonless. Growing up in southern California, I very much enjoyed the fact that our seasonal changes were mild and almost nonexistant and ignorable. This allowed me to pursue my hobbies, such as swimming and walking around outside in shorts and sandals, literally year-round.

Needless to say, I have mixed feelings about seasons now that I have experienced them to the fullest. I suspect that many a supposed season-lover secretly feels the same but just won't admit it. Why else would so many life-long East Coasters, upon reaching retirement, abandon their moherland for the balmy shores of Florida? But, you may say, many of them only go for the winter, which can be hard on the elderly. I might respond that it’s kind-of rude to talk about old people that way, and then tell you that that argument plays right into my hands.

Let's get to the heart of the matter and and take a close look at the East Coast seasons. Here’s what my analysis reveals:

Spring is actually just winter, with the addition of some desperate and foolishly optimistic flowers. It is constantly raining and still dreary.

Winter is long, dark, cold, and miserable. The only time winter is pretty is right after it snows, after that point it all becomes brown slush that soaks into everything...including the salt that gets all over everything. And not to mention having to drive in it! Oh, and the ice storms! I don't even want to go there.

Summer generally takes it’s sweet time getting here, and then when it does it’s infested with thunder storms and horrible humidity.

Fall brings mild weather and spectacular colors to the trees.

You are now thinking that these are interesting results. Most of the seasons are completely lousy at their worst, and not very good at their best. So, when people say things like, “I couldn’t live without my seasons,” what I think they’re really saying is, “I like Fall”. Fall is Mother Nature’s trump card. Just when folks are about to pack their bags and head south for good, Mother Nature breaks out her paint set and instead of leaving, the people stand there transfixed. Suddenly people start saying irrational things like, “see, that’s why I love seasons!” Slap some pretty colors on the forest for a month or so and the Seasons have bought themselves another year of loyalty.

Fall in out here is absolutely gorgeous. I regret not taking any pictures of this last fall while living here. Honestly, California has nothing like it but when winter drags on I can’t helping thinking that I’d much prefer to have the Great Pacific lapping at my toes, than Jack Frost nipping at my nose. Especially when Christmas is over and January trudges in because we all know that we still have a few more cold, snowy, bleak months ahead of us before rainy spring arrives and summer finally makes his appearance. My opinion is you can always hop on a plane to visit those beautiful trees and semi-fun snow, once you build your cute snowman you can hop right back on that plane and say "Hello Warm Weather, I'm back"!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree! I'm from WY where we only really have two seasons. Winter which lasts 9 months and summer which is actually very nice (not hot, but still windy). The winter is just not worth suffering through in order to get a few nice days in the summer. I do really like the falls here, but like you said, we can always go for a visit and take pictures of the pretty trees :D That's why we may be moving to FL or CA in the near future.

natalie said...

I totally agree...fall is beautiful here...the rest kinda sucks...esp. with the darn humidity...it just ruins your hair. Give me the dry, hot heat of Cali anyday.

Kara said...

AMEN sister!!!!!! Where did you grow up in CA? I'm from Santa Maria and we are still here! My short stint in Utah taught me that I LOVE to visit the snow...like you said. Well put! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay I see your point. It was very well written. I still have to say in good ol' Utah's defense, there's nothing like the Fall leaves here. Then again when January comes, I'm really wishing I would have picked somewhere warn year round to live.