Monday, August 11, 2008

Puebla Mexico here they come!

Yesterday at 7am my parents and younger sister Jennifer drove to the airport to take a 5 hour flight from Napa, CA to their final destination....Puebla Mexico! Puebla is about an hour and a half drive from Mexico City. The reason for their move is my father got a promotion as the General Manager over all of the fiberglass reinforcement plants in Mexico and Central America for the company Owen's Corning. My parents have known about this for about a little over a month so it is still a very new very exciting change. They are currently looking for housing down there and will hopefully find a furnished apartment (which the company will pay for). Owens Corning is also giving my dad an extra 2 weeks of vacation per year and plane tickets to fly the family back to the states twice (per year I believe).

They are keeping their home in Napa, CA which now only houses my sister Corinne, her hubby Brandon, and my brothers Robert and Thomas. However, Thomas will be flying out to BYU Utah pretty soon. My parents will all be back for an extended weekend in 6 weeks to get their visas and to say goodbye to the people they haven't had a chance to yet. I keep telling them that it will be a great adventure!!

*The plan is to live in Puebla for 3 years.
*Jennifer's school starts today, I believe, at an english speaking high school and I'm sure she will love it! This is the reason to get down there so quickly. She will probably learn spanish very quickly which I'm jealous of, but it will be great for her.
*My mom says she will be trying to learn spanish for real this time because she will have more time to learn and won't have 4 young kids to look after. (We lived in Mexico for 2 years when I was younger.) She always said that she knows just enough spanish to get herself into trouble :0)
*My dad will be pretty much doing a re-vamp of the manufacturing plants out there to make them more efficient, which he is AMAZING at!
*They will be attending a spanish speaking ward so that will be interesting...maybe they will have headphones for non-spanish speakers.

The past few weeks were very hectic at home when things were being finalized. I went home a few days before our family reunion and was glad to be able to help out my mom a little bit. They have been packing fiends, and were able to get Jennifer a passport very quickly. My dad also sold all of the cars, four wheelers, and four wheeler trailer (in about a week)!! I know that they will be so blessed while living down there, and I am very excited to visit them in Puebla sometime! Here are two websites about Puebla that Tyson found:
http://www.destination360.com/north-america/mexico/puebla.php
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/travel/09hours.html
Here they are in front of the house all packed up and ready to go!

2 comments:

Sean & Lacey said...

wow that's insane, exciting though and it will be fun for you to visit! How are you guys? I'm glad your updating your blog a lot so we can stay updated!

nfreeman said...

Hey... Just stumbled across your blog whilst searching for jobs in Puebla. I'm a 22 year old student from the UK and my girlfriend lives in Puebla. I'm planning to move out there this summer but my spanish at this stage is not great, so I was wondering what the place is like for English speaking jobs. I saw a lot of teaching jobs advertised when I visited but that's not really my scene. I'm really specialised in Marketing... Any ideas on where to look to find a job for an English speaker? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!!! Nick (nfreeman@hotmail.co.uk)